Vegan Sugar Cookies: 2-Ways!
I make these vegan sugar cookies fairly often. They were one of the first recipes I made when I was learning how to replace milk/eggs/butter in baking (a work still in progress… I’m looking at you Brownies! ><).
The original recipe is one of those old standards you find in old depression/wartime cookbooks when some of the richer ingredients were scarce. This is why it uses vinegar (something wartime/depression era recipes use frequently. Take a look at vinegar pie sometime. What?!).
One day, I recalled one of my favourite childhood cookies that were both vanilla and chocolate/cinnamon. I LOVED the chocolate/cinnamon parts of the cookies so I tweaked this sugar cookie recipe to taste the same…. *mind blown*. We prefer them that way now.
For your reference, I made both versions today.
A few notes:
- I find vegan butter gets SUPER soft. If you find the dough too soft to roll into balls, either add a bit more flour or stick it in the fridge for a few minutes.
- My measurements of the cocoa/cinnamon are fairly rough – add more or less to your taste. Also, I bet a tiny pinch of cayenne with the cocoa/cinnamon mix would be DIVINE! Next time!
- I don’t like the taste of Earth Balance, but I know it’s super popular. Go for it if you like it. I used Melt “butter” 2.0. It’s pretty good, although I do find it has a very mild coconut scent.
I don’t have fancy cookie pressing equipment, so feel free to use your preferred method. I have luck with the “bottom of the glass” tried and true method. Just be sure to dip your glass in the sugar before you press because the dough is soft. If you tear your cookie, you can just patch it up with your fingers.
Rolling the dough in sugar and then pressing it with a sugared glass gives a nice crispy sparkly crust on the outside.
Vegan Sugar Cookies (2-ways)Crystal
- 1 cup vegan butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups All Purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy
- Add the vanilla and vinegar to the butter mixture and beat well
- In separate bowl, mix the flour and baking soda (if making CHOCOLATE SUGAR COOKIES, Skip to STEP 7)
- Gradually add the flour mixture and combine to make a soft dough.
- Roll dough into 1" balls and roll in sugar to coat. Dip a glass in the sugar and flatten to 1/8th-1/4" (or use any other flattening method you choose). Repeat for the entire batch.
- Bake at 350'F for 8-12 minutes, or until just beginning to be golden. Cool on pan for 2 minutes and then transfer to a rack. These will harden up as they cool.
- Remove 2 tbsp of the flour
- Add the cinnamon and cocoa to the flour mixture and add gradually to the butter mixture.
- Continue as above from STEP 5 onward.
If you make this recipe, please rate and comment below! Thanks! 🙂
It snowed today… March 24th! I’m going to sit with my tea and cookies now and think spring thoughts