Here’s a new technique! This is super easy, delicious, and nutritious – no wonder it’s a mainstay of kind eating, no animals were harmed in the making of this cream!
Today I’ll show you how to make cashew cream. This is a base recipe you can adapt to suit your needs. You can use it in place of sour cream as a topping on things like perogies and potatoes, you can change the seasonings to make a dip for veggies, you can toss pasta in it along with other herbs and spices, the sky’s the limit here.
This is simply a basic technique, from here tweak it to suit your needs. Also, depending on your ingredients, you may find your results vary – but no matter what happens, it will still be super yummy!
You’ll see people post photos of totally smooth cashew cream. I don’t know how they get that. I have a Blendtec blender and a Cuisinart food processor and I can’t get that texture. I’ve tried soaking the cashews for 2 days and still no luck. Don’t beat yourself up if yours has a bit of graininess, it’s not dairy cream – it’s cashew cream! That is just a property of what you made! 🙂
- 1½ cups RAW cashews (soaked at least 4 hours)
- ½ cup water OR unsweetened neutral tasting plant milk (you may need up to ¾ cup depending on your cashews)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp salt
- Drain and rinse the cashews - very important to discard the soaking water!
- In a high speed blender or food processor add the cashews, milk/water, lemon juice, vinegar, and salt.
- Blend until smooth. If too thick, add more milk 1 tbsp at a time. *NOTE* This will thicken in the fridge.
- Taste. Add salt or lemon juice if necessary.
- Store in fridge for up to 5 days.
- *be creative! Add herbs and spices to make a veggie or pizza crust dip, add some garlic and nutritional yeast to make a kind of alfredo sauce for noodles (or zoodles)...
- I have made this with water and with plant milk, honestly - both ways are just fine!
I have made this with water and with plant milk, honestly - both ways are just fine!
If you make this recipe, please rate and comment below! Thanks! 🙂