Technique: Quick Roasted Veggies
This is kind of a non-recipe but is a technique. I love roasted veggies, I like how they get a bit brown on the edges but are still moist and flavourful. All they really need is a bit of olive oil and salt and pepper. Sometimes I add other seasonings too, but it’s really not necessary.
Today I took a craving for veggies, but raw veggies are a bit…. boring and steamed veggies can just be sad and soggy. Oven roasted veggies are it! However, this was also intended to be my lunch today so they had to be quick. I don’t want to sit in front of the oven waiting for them to roast “slow and low”.
First, I looked in my fridge to see what veggies I had. I had a couple of small zucchinis (you know, the little ones from Costco), I had some sad looking tomatoes that were on their last legs, and a half a bag of frozen broccoli.
So I sliced the zucchini into 1/4″-ish rounds and I halved the tomatoes (if yours are larger you may want to quarter them). I arranged the frozen broccoli, halved tomatoes, and sliced zucchini onto a baking sheet. Honestly, the sheet should have been bigger for the amount of veggies I was roasting, but I was using my toaster oven, so whatever. It worked.
Next, I drizzled olive oil (about 3 tbsp) over all the veggies and seasoned them all with salt and pepper. You can stop here with the seasoning if you like. They’ll be delish. I didn’t. I added a bit of garlic powder and nutritional yeast to the broccoli and some Italian seasoning to the tomatoes.
Next, I threw the veggies into the toasted oven at 425’F. I kept an eye on them and turned the veggies after about 10 mins and added a bit more salt and pepper.
After about 10 more minutes I decided they were soft enough to call done (I was also starving by this point so I needed my lunch!).
Look how roasty-juicy those tomatoes are!
VOILA! 20 min roasted vegetables! These are good on their own, tossed with pasta, on a sandwich, or any way you like!
I ate mine with a generous sprinkling of almond “Parmesan” (recipe forthcoming)
Technique: Quick Roasted Veggies
- Vegetables of choosing
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Salt and Pepper
- Other seasonings to taste
- Heat oven to 425'F
- Cut your vegetables in to approximately bite sized pieces (1"-ish). This is not a science.
- Try to have vegetables that are likely to cook in similar amounts of time on the same pan. A potato will take WAY longer to roast than a tomato. "watery" vegetables cook faster than "starchy" ones.
- Arrange the veggies on your baking tray and drizzle with oil (be generous, a lot of it will end up on the pan). Sprinkle with salt and pepper and desired seasonings. Toss a bit to coat (doesn't matter if it's perfect).
- Put in oven and bake for about 10 minutes.
- Flip/toss veggies and add a bit more oil if necessary and salt and pepper.
- ** Note ** Don't flip tomatoes, try to keep them skin-side down or else all their guts will fall out all over the pan and just be a burned wet mess.
- Roast about 10 minutes more. Checking for desired brown-ness and doneness. Serve when they are as cooked as you like.
- Serve alone, over pasta, in a sandwich, or any way you like to eat roasted veggies.
If you make this recipe, please rate and comment below! Thanks! 🙂