Korean-style BBQ beefless bowl
This is a recipe for vegan Korean-style BBQ beefless bowl that is SO easy and SO quick. We eat it all the time. I realize it’s not “authentic” but it has some of the flavours we’ve come to expect from Korean-style food. I actually want to figure out a way to lessen sugar, so there may be an adapted version forthcoming (perhaps with some of my beloved gochujang sauce).
In our house we eat a lot of eclectic meals. We like BIG BOLD flavours. We like lots of spice! Because of that, Asian-style meals feature heavily on our dinner table.
In the photos, you’ll see that I have a dish of kimchi on the side. I have a recipe for vegan kimchi that I make quite frequently. Stay tuned and I’ll feature that recipe someday soon.
Last night, when I made this for supper, it was the first time that I added zucchini and carrots (just because I wanted to boost the nutrition AND use what I had in the fridge). You totally don’t have to add anything other than the green onions – it’s totally up to you
- 1 pkg veggie ground crumbles (I used Yves Original)
- 3 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes or gochugaru (or to taste)
- ½ tsp ground or grated ginger (or more... I use more - I don't even measure)
- 2 green onions
- ½-1 cup other veggies (optional) - can use frozen peas, grated carrot, shredded zucchini.
- Rice for serving
- In a measuring cup, mix the soy sauce, sugar, ginger, and pepper flakes. Set aside.
- Heat large pan over medium heat. Add about 1 tbsp of oil.
- Once pan/oil are hot add the veggie crumbles and the crushed garlic. Cook until the crumbles are "dry" looking and the garlic is fragrant. About 5 minutes.
- Add in the green onions, other veggies if using, and the sauce. Cook until the veggies are tender-crisp and the sauce has thickened. About 10 minutes.
- Serve over rice. Goes well with kimchi!
If you make this recipe, please rate and comment below! Thanks! 🙂