Rustic Vegetable Pie
I love cozy food. Food that’s rustic, homey, and old-timey…makes me warm and fuzzy inside. I also love pie. This recipe is BOTH! Best!
This is an open-face vegetable pot pie and is super yummy and completely adaptable to whatever vegetables/herbs/spices you have on hand. Simply follow the rough guideline and just adapt as needed. When I made it, I only had one potato – so I mashed it as the thickener (see the recipe) but I also had a sweet potato which I diced and threw in. It’s totally a blank slate recipe. Love those – it means the sky’s the limit !
My standard pie crust recipe is an old one from my favourite cookbook. This is the recipe. I often use coconut oil in place of the shortening and the coconutty flavour is completely absent, I even used it in this savoury recipe! Who knew? For this pie, I used whole wheat flour just to ramp up the nutrition and heartiness, but you do you.
Rustic Vegetable Pie
- 1 pie crust for 9" pie
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 carrot diced
- 1/2 block tofu cut in small dice
- 2 medium potatoes cooked (microwaved/steamed/boiled)
- 2 cups other veggies I used a small zucchini, and 1/2 cup each frozen corn and peas - you can also use broccoli or cauliflower, or whatever you may have in your fridge.
- 3-4 tbsp flour
- 1-1.5 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Paprika for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350'F
- Arrange your pie crust in your pan and set aside
- Cook your potatoes and peel them (you can leave the skins on, I did). Mash one of the potatoes, dice the other.
- In a large skillet heat 2 tbsp olive oil.
- Saute onion and tofu together for about 2 minutes (until onion softens).
- Add chopped carrot. Cook about 5 minutes or until tofu and onions are starting to brown.
- Add in other vegetables (other than the potatoes) you are using along with a bit of water. Cover and cook until the veggies are just tender (not fully cooked or overdone).
- Add in the potatoes (mashed and diced).
- Sprinkle the flour over all the veggies and gradually add in the broth.
- Add in nutritional yeast and seasonings. Stir to combine.
- Continue stirring as the mixture thickens. Taste and add more seasoning if necessary.
- Once the mixture is quite thick, pour into the pie crust. If the mixture is too thick, add more broth - if too thin, add more flour - this measurement depends greatly on the vegetables you use.
- Sprinkle top with breadcrumbs and some paprika.
- Bake at 350'F for 40 minutes. Once baked, remove from oven and let stand for 10mins to help it to firm up.
- Slice and serve!
If you make this recipe, please rate and comment below! Thanks! 🙂
Recipe adapted from Vegkitchen’s Hearty Vegetable Pot Pie