Cinnamon Sticky Buns in a Jiffy!
You know how cinnamon buns can be super dry or boring or flavourless? You know how making cinnamon buns is a several-hour affair that means you have to get up at 4am to have them ready for breakfast? Yeah…. this recipe has none of those problems! If you like ooey-gooey sticky cinnamon buns and you want them NOW (well… in 30-40minutes from now), then this is the recipe for you! These Cinnamon Sticky Buns are vegan, delicious, and quick. By using a vegan biscuit dough you skip out on the time-consuming part of making yeasted doughs. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE traditional yeast dough cinnamon buns, but let’s face it – they aren’t always practical to make. By using a biscuit dough the buns are saved from getting too dried out because the dough retains moisture and keeps the whole thing feeling soft and pillowy.
For this recipe I used an adapted version of my biscuit dough. While the dough was resting, I quickly made up the “goo” for the bottom of the pan and then rolled out the dough, shaped the buns, and placed them in the pan. By the time everything was done, the oven was all heated up to 400’F. So basically, figure out how long it takes your oven to heat up to 400’F and then add about 15-20 mins for baking and that’s how long these take to make. Beauty!
I also want to say that for me, a cinnamon bun without goo is just a sad excuse for a treat and not worth eating. So, that’s why this recipe makes a lot of gooey caramel. If you prefer your buns [heaven forbid] less sticky or even [gasp] not sticky, then just reduce or omit the caramel (I can’t even believe I’m offering this advice….I’M SORRY MOM!)
- FOR THE DOUGH:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup coconut oil (SOLID/room temp - not melted!)
- 1 cup soymilk
- FOR THE FILLING:
- Enough spreadable vegan margarine (or melted vegan butter) to spread over the surface of the rolled out dough
- ½ cup (or more, to taste) brown sugar
- 1 tbsp (or more, to taste) ground cinnamon
- FOR THE CARAMEL:
- ¼ cup vegan butter
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ - ½ cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400'F
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Cut in the coconut oil until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Gradually pour in the milk to make a soft ragged dough. Add more flour, 1 tbsp at a time, if the dough is too wet.
- Turn dough out onto floured surface and knead a few times. Let rest for 5-10 mins while you make your caramel.
- In a small saucepan over medium-low combine the butter, brown sugar, and maple syrup. Stir until the butter is melted and the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Pour the caramel into the bottom of a 9" round cake pan. Sprinkle with the pecans. Set aside.
- Now, return to the dough and roll it out into a large rectangle (about 9"x13"). The dough is sticky and elastic but it will roll out. Use flour to keep from sticking to the counter and the rolling pin.
- Once rolled out, spread with margarine/butter and sprinkle with the sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll up, tightly, jelly roll style from a long side.
- Using a serrated knife, cut the roll into 1.5" slices.
- Arrange the slices, cut side down, in the prepared pan on top of the caramel.
- Place the pan on a cookie sheet to protect from sugar bubbling over.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the sugar is bubbly and the tops of the buns are golden.
- Remove from the oven and let stand for not more than 1 minute.
- Carefully invert the pan on parchment paper over a heat-proof surface (these are VERY hot).
- Cool and serve!
Remember, if you make this recipe – please rate it and comment below! Thanks! 🙂