Chocolate chip cookies, there are as many recipes as there are bakers and everyone has a favourite style. Some like big soft gooey ones, some like thin crispy ones, some like crunchy ones, some like cakey ones. I’ve tried a lot of chocolate chip cookie recipes and some I’ve liked and some I’ve been meh about. Because eggs contribute strongly to the “chewy” factor of cookies, hitting all the notes of a perfect cookie sans-eggs is a bit tricky. However look no further, I’ve done it!! Enter delicious Salted Vegan Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies, 100% vegan and 100% delightful. These are great dunked in coffee (my preferred manner of cookie consumption), dunked in a ice cold glass of plantmilk, or just on their own.
The flax egg lends the chewiness that is absent in vegan cookies and the cookie dough is just the right consistency for a traditional drop cookie
As these bake they spread out quite a bit. Once out of the oven, be sure to let them cool for about 2 minutes on the pan, otherwise they will be too soft to move. After that, you must let them cool on a rack. These will firm up considerably as they cool.
These cookies are buttery and slightly crisp on the edges, and soft and melty in the middle.
If you decide you don’t want to add the salt on top, feel free to leave it off. However, be forewarned…. the sprinkling of salt lends a sophistication and specialness to the cookie that sets it heads and shoulders above any of its counterparts.
Once you make these cookies that are so very easy, you will have a hard time not making them every.single.day. I might have made several dozen of these over the past few days, I excused it as “blog research” but really…. let’s face it, it’s because I wanted more cookies!
These are best the day they are made, however the leftovers (if you have any) are great too. They lose their crispiness overnight, but if you want to restore it you just need to throw them into a 300’F oven for 5 minutes and let them cool. I’ve also heard that storing cookies in a glass container helps preserve crispiness longer, I haven’t tried this. Because these are a crispy AND soft cookie, keeping them crisp is a challenge.
- ½ cup vegan butter, room temperature
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 flax "egg" (see note)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1¼ cup flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup chopped pecans (optional, but recommended!)
- Coarse salt for sprinkling (optional, but recommended!)
- Preheat your oven to 350'F
- Cream together the butter and the sugars until fluffy.
- Add in the flax egg and vanilla. Beat well.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until well combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and chopped pecans.
- In drop cookie style, drop heaping teaspoons onto a cookie sheet, about 2" apart.
- Sprinkle tops with just a bit of coarse sea salt flakes (optional)
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until the edges are just beginning to brown.
- Let cool in the pan for 2 minutes and then transfer to a rack to cool.
- Makes about 18-20 cookies.
2) These lose their crispiness overnight. They are still good when they are softer. However, if you heat them up in a 300'F oven for 5-10 minutes and let them cool, the crispiness will be restored.
If you make this recipe, please rate and comment below! Thanks 🙂